Social media is so addictive that people are just hooked to their screens for hours. Most people (including students and children) spend almost the entire day watching random posts i.e. reels, stories and videos on social media. They perceive the world through the lenses of social media. Such is the impact of social media on their minds that they literally turn into Social Media Zombies.
Why Is Social Media So Addictive:
Social media follows a simple rule of showing you what you generally prefer viewing. Watch a few videos about “Cute Dogs” on YouTube and observe that your YouTube profile will be full of videos about dogs. Like a post on Facebook or Instagram. As soon as you do this, similar posts start appearing on your profile. Moreover, you also get suggestions to check similar posts from other people, groups or communities. As a result, whenever you access your social media account you end up viewing similar kind of posts again and again.
How you turn into a Social Media Zombie:
Most of you fail to notice, that you end up viewing posts that are similar to what you've already seen. Which means, you continue viewing only one kind of posts every day and fail to view different posts by others that could be more important and add value to your life. Thus you are caught in a vicious cycle, that is difficult to come out of; and turn into a Social Media Zombie.
How to avoid turning into a Social Media Zombie:
Ask yourself a couple of important questions to start with:
Do the posts I view add any value to my personal or professional life?
Do they make my life better?
If the answer to these questions is NO, and you wish to avoid turning into a Social Media Zombie; you really need to make a 'Super Resolution' of making social media an incredible resource for learning.
How to make social media an incredible resource for learning:
It's rather simple. Follow only those people, groups or communities that share content that adds value to your personal and professional life. Unfollow, Unsubscribe, Mute or Block people, groups or communities whose content is of no use to you or you don’t wish to see.
After this, whenever you login to your social media accounts, you will only see posts that offer value to you and not the ones that merely waste your time. Thus, whenever you check your social media accounts, you will end up learning something new. Considering the amount of time you spend on social media, just imagine how much you will be able to learn.
Which social media platforms are good for learning?
Let’s talk about five of the most popular social media platforms along with one less popular but equally resourceful one in India.
1. YouTube: Videos are the best medium to learn from. There are thousands of content creators and their channels you can follow on YouTube. Follow channels that offer knowledge or skills that you can utilize in your personal and professional life. You will be amazed to see the variety of skills that’s available for free on YouTube.
2. Instagram: For many, Instagram is just a means of sharing or publishing photos, videos or reels. However, it’s not limited to that. Content creators post images or slides full of information on Instagram.
e.g. There are accounts that share tips to enhance your English. Some share news or articles on various topics. There are some that share different skills related tips too. All this and much more in the form of images or slides.
3. Facebook: Facebook is an incredible platform where content creators write articles in the form of posts, publish videos and share images full of information. Just follow the right people, groups or communities and there will be no end to learning.
4. Twitter: This too is an excellent platform for learning. Since posts on twitter are supposed to be shorter, the expert content creators help you learn through very short posts. This saves your time as you don’t have to read through or watch something that consumes a lot of time. You can choose your areas of interest based on which twitter shares content with you.
5. LinkedIn: This portal for professionals has slowly made its way into people’s devices. It's by far the best resource for learning. You can actually learn from industry experts, connect with them and learn further.
6. Deepstash: This is less popular as compared to the ones mentioned above. However, you should definitely consider downloading this app to experience how incredible a learning resource it is. It offers bite-sized learning from popular books, videos, articles etc. You will certainly love it for its ability to provide knowledge and skills through 3-5 min posts.
You may also consider checking these out - Pinterest, Reddit and Tumblr.
In the articles to come, I am going to share how Students, Teachers, Working Professionals and Parents should use social media to better their personal and professional lives; rather than becoming Social Media Zombies.
(Please feel free to share your views on using social media for learning and also share your thoughts about this article in the comments section below.)